アホカド (Crazy about avocados)

Saturday, March 20, 2010

First day of spring 2010!

Two of the avocados made it through the winter relatively unscathed. The other one is very sick.

The oldest avocado is growing vigorously in the warm weather. It has grown in height and is producing new leaves in the crown. I'm hoping that it develops some branches this season.

You can see the strong leaves and increased height in this picture. In fact, I had to move the camera back because the whole tree doesn't fit in the frame from the normal spot.

The middle plant is very sick. There have been no new leaves and the growth seems to have completely stopped.

Before the winter, I moved it from the small black pot to this large green pot. However, it has not responded positively.

The crown was shriveled, so I pinched it back last week. I hope this helps stimulate some growth. However, even this doesn't seem to have helped.

The smallest avocado is bouncing back from winter well.

While it looks at first glance that the plant is doing pretty poorly, the trunk is strong and the crown is producing many new leaves. I expect a few of these dry leaves to shed this season and see some significant new growth.

I've expanded my blogging activities to include all the vegetables in my garden. Take a look at Veranda Gardening if you have some time!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home